Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hallowe'en

Happy Halloween everyone! This is one of my favorite holidays. One of the most coveted types of postcards is the Halloween card. These cards typically have beautiful artwork, like many holiday postcards in the early 1900s, but are also far more rare. There weren't as many Halloween postcards sent as say, Easter or Christmas cards. As a result, they are highly prized by collectors, and some can fetch quite a lot of money at auction. I have been lucky enough to have a few in my possession, but always sold them to raise money to buy other cards I wanted. Here is a small sample below. Stay safe tonight!





3 comments:

  1. oh those are beautiful
    I have never seen such cards in my travels through antique stores....but you sold them?
    wish I could read the back of the card...maybe type it out for us
    .....Robert Olin Butler....that is the name of the writer who used postcards as story starters....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it says:
    Dear Aunt Alise,
    Ma wants you to come down and bring Aunt Idie. Ma wants to see her for she goes. Yours truly, May Brownell

    I don't know if Ma is going on a trip, or on her death bed. These cards do provide some interesting mystery.

    ReplyDelete