Monday, August 20, 2012

Native Alaskans





I will showcase all kinds of interesting (I hope) things on this blog that I find in my searches through garage sales, antique shops, etc. One find a couple of weeks ago are these two fantastic early 1900s photo postcards of Native Alaskans. This one is particularly cute - no need to worry about a crying baby if it's passed out! I will devote future posts to explaining different types of postcards to my readers who don't have a clue what I'm talking about. Photo postcards are my favorite.





I absolutely love this one, not just because of the confused look on the kid's face, but also because of his amazing clothing. These photos are dated 1905, so it's possible that this boy had never seen a camera before in his life. Many Americans (and Alaskans!) in rural and urban areas were just getting their first taste of what photography could capture at the turn of the 20th century. The technology wasn't new, but the fact that more average people had access to it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment