Saturday, September 22, 2012

Happy Fall!


 Happy Fall everyone! Fall is my favorite season for many reasons. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, I love the leaves changing colors (although don't get as much of this in Oregon as other places I have lived). I love having to grab a sweatshirt now and then. I even love the return of the rainy season (at least for a few weeks, talk to me in December).

This beautiful postcard was printed by the Detroit Publishing Company, a company which produced thousands of different postcards in the early 1900s.

They were able to create color photorealistic images by using a process called chromolithography. Using this technique, the company was able to mass produce color enhanced photographic images long before it was cost effective to print photos in color.

This series is a great choice for beginning collectors because Detroit Publishing cards can be found for low prices, yet offer quality printing and interesting subjects.

The fisherman at right is one of my favorites from the series.

Time to go break open a bag of candy corn!

1 comment:

  1. I just linked a photo of candy corn to your contact info in my i-phone. Not kidding.

    These post cards are cool.

    And you know how I feel about fall...

    xo

    ReplyDelete